Navigating the world of digital marketing can be overwhelming. Terms like ‘pixels’ and ‘tags’ can sound technical, but they are essential components for anyone wanting to optimize their online presence. Let’s dive deep into these terms and guide you through the process of setting up tracking pixels on WordPress with Google Tag Manager.
Defining the Basics
- Tags/Pixels: In the digital marketing landscape, a tag or pixel refers to a piece of code embedded in a website. These codes are pivotal in capturing data related to user interactions and sending this data to platforms like Google or Facebook, aiding in analytics and targeted advertising.
Setting up Business Accounts
Setting up Facebook (Meta) Business Account
A Meta (Facebook) Business Account is a unified dashboard, designed to manage Facebook and Instagram business assets, separate from your personal profile. Benefits include centralized management, enhanced security, team collaboration, advanced analytics, and a clear distinction between personal and business activities.
- To Set Up: Navigate to Meta (Facebook) Business. Log in using personal credentials for identity verification. Follow prompts, adding business details. Once established, add or integrate any existing business assets like Pages or Instagram accounts.
Setting up Google Business Account
Google offers businesses the chance to set up a specialized account designed for more advanced analytics, ad management, and other business-related services.
- To Set Up: Visit Google’s homepage and select ‘Create Account.’ Opt for “For My Business” when asked about account type. Follow through with the on-screen instructions, filling in the relevant business data.
Setting Up Tag Manager
Create Tag Manager Account
Google Tag Manager (GTM) is a user-friendly tool that manages tags/pixels on your website, allowing you to centralize various tracking codes in one place.
- To Set Up: Visit the GTM main page, sign up, and initialize a new container specific to your website or app.
Set up Container
The container in GTM is a defined space where you can store all the tags/pixels you wish to implement on your website.
- To Set Up: Within your GTM account, select ‘Create Container.’ Name it, specify where you wish to use it (Web, iOS, Android), and then click ‘Create.’
Install Container on Website
For effective tracking, the container must be correctly embedded within your site.
- For WordPress Users: The easiest method is using plugins like Header-Footer plugin. After plugin installation, integrate the GTM code. Alternatively, for those versed in coding, custom PHP can be added to a child theme for this integration.
Add Tags to Tag Manager
Once your container is operational, you can start adding tags.
- To Add Tags: Within the GTM dashboard, navigate to the specific container, select ‘New Tag,’ choose the tag type (e.g., Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel), configure as necessary, and save.
Digital marketing’s core lies in data-driven insights, and tools like tags/pixels, GTM, and business accounts play pivotal roles in obtaining these insights. By setting up and optimizing these elements, businesses gain a comprehensive view of their online performance, leading to better decision-making and refined strategies.